Famous Footballer, 24 years old, shot dead in his car

South African footballer Luke Fleurs has been shot dead in a car hijacking in Johannesburg.

The defender’s current club Kaizer Chiefs confirmed the tragic news on social media. They paid tribute to the 24-year-old and sent their condolences to his friends and family.

The club statement read: “It is with a great deal of sadness that we announce that Kaizer Chiefs player, Luke Fleurs tragically lost his life last night during a hijacking incident in Johannesburg.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this difficult time. The SAPS are handling the matter and further details will be communicated in due course. May his dear soul rest in peace.”

The shooting took place at a petrol station in the suburb of Florida on Wednesday night. Fleurs was waiting to be attended when he was approached by gunmen, who ordered him to hand his vehicle over.

The gunmen then shot him before fleeing the scene. Gauteng police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Mavela Masondo said: “The suspects pointed [at] him with a firearm and took him out of his vehicle, then shot him once on the upper body.”

Fleurs started his career at Ubuntu Cape Town, before a five-year spell at SuperSport United. He joined Kaizer Chiefs last year, having also made a number of appearances at youth level in the South Africa national team set-up.

The 24-year-old represented his country at the Tokyo Olympics. Masondo added: “While waiting to be served by the petrol attendant, he was confronted by two armed males who came driving a white BMW 1 Series.

“The suspects pointed him with a firearm and took him out of his vehicle, then shot him once on the upper body. One suspect drove off with the victim’s car followed by his accomplice.”

The defender was taken to the nearest medical care centre but he was tragically certified dead on arrival. Police have opened an investigation, with Gauteng Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant General Tommy Mthombeni appointing a team of seasoned detectives from the provincial office. No arrests have been made at this stage.